[openssl-dev] Question about adding a new cipher [I am not asking the old question]

John Hunter zhjwpku at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 10:53:07 UTC 2016

I know that this question had been asked millions of times, I searched the
maillist archives and I know it, and this is not a homework for an academic
project, trust me :)

In [1], Victor said that we don't need to rebuild OpenSSL just for adding a
crypto algrorithm, and he recoment to see the ccgost engine, I did, but
I think that if we add a symmetric cipher, we will declare a EVP_CIPHER
struct, which contains a nid, let's say NID_id_Gost28147_89, this nid was
defined in crypto/objects/obj_mac.h, but if I don't have a nid for my new
added cipher, I think we should add one into openssl, in that occasion I
think we should rebuild the OpenSSL.

I am appreciated if somebody could help to explain.

[1] http://openssl.6102.n7.nabble.com/add-a-new-cipher-to-OpenSSL-td22968.html

Cheers!
Zhao