[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4479] OS X 10.8 (x86_64): Compile errors when using "no-asm -ansi"

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Mar 25 18:28:34 UTC 2016

In message <CAH8yC8mkpW+REX0KA8KCJ_oGgYDVrLgYAXtDfvri1VaSx-u01A at mail.gmail.com> on Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:16:59 -0400, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> said:

noloader> > Why do you want to be able to build on an OS released in 2012 with a
noloader> > C89-only compiler? I'm probably missing something, but I'm struggling to
noloader> > understand the point of this.
noloader>
noloader> I'm not sure what the reason are. But for me, as long as its a claim
noloader> or a requirement, it gets tested to ensure goals are being met.

An ANSI compiler is not strict requirement, but rather a minimum.
That means we need to refrain from using more modern language features
such as // comments, lambda functions, try/except/failure and the
like.

Obviously, we need to handle strict ANSI a bit better.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org