[openssl-dev] CNG support for OpenSSL CAPI Engine

Matt Hart matt.hart at hotmail.co.uk
Wed May 18 08:46:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

We have successfully been using the CAPI engine to provide OpenSSL client
cert authentication in environments where Windows Cryptographic Service
Providers (CSP) are used for private key storage.

But we also have a few environments that have migrated from CSP to a Windows
Key Storage Provider and CNG based encryption algorithms.

Looking at top-of-tree for OpenSSL, I see there's currently only code for
Windows CryptAcquireContext() and hence CSPs, not for the CNG APIs
(NCryptOpenStorageProvider, BCryptOpenAlgorithmProvider et al).

Are there plans or work in progress, for the OpenSSL CAPI engine to support
environments where CNG is in use?

thanks