[openssl-dev] FIPs mode and openssl

Mody, Darshan (Darshan) darshanmody at avaya.com
Fri May 27 09:11:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have a query with regards to FIPS mode and use of Openssl. I have put my kernel image n FIPs mode using the documentation (https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Security_Guide/sect-Security_Guide-Federal_Standards_And_Regulations-Federal_Information_Processing_Standard.html)

Do I need to put the openssl in FIPs mode using the API FIPS_mode_set(1) or will by default the openssl will put itself in FIPS mode for my application. There are couple of application on the server we use openssl. Do I need to put each of the application openssl in FIPS mode or will it put itself in FIPS since the kernel is in FIPS mode.

Thanks

Darshan