[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #3502] nameConstraints bypass bug

John Denker via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue May 31 04:41:03 UTC 2016

On 05/30/2016 08:58 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> Name constraints in the X.509v3 PKI have not worked well, and are
> rarely used.  The attack requires a issuing CA to be willing to
> issue certificates beyond its constraints, that would be quite
> noticeable and rather unwise.  So I think this is not a major
> problem.  We should probably make a reasonable effort to address
> this, but the urgency is I think low.

The priority may be higher than that, because of something
that has not yet been mentioned in this discussion:

  The nameConstraints protect the issuing CA, not just
  the relying parties.

Here's the scenario:  I persuade 1000 of my closest friends
to accept my mumble.com CA as a trusted root.  I offer them
the assurance that:
  The root cert is name-constrained, and therefore affects
  only their interactions with *.mumble.com, so it's
  not very dangerous.     [1]

The first problem is that if openssl does not implement
nameConstraints properly, my assertion [1] is false.

This leads to a second problem:  My cert-issuing machine
becomes a much juicier target.  If anybody pwns my machine,
then /every/ cert-based activity of /every one/ of my friends
is compromised, via the nameConstraints bypass bug.

The problem does not revolve around me intentionally doing
something unwise;  it involves a bad guy stealing from me
and then doing something nasty.

So it seems the priority / prevalence argument is at best
circular:  People would use the feature a lot more if they
could trust it to do the right thing.

As Fred Smith once said, you don't judge the importance or
the optimal size of the proposed bridge according to the
number of people seen driving across the river before the
bridge is built.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=3502