[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4552] Bug report: hex string is too long, problem in set_hex()?

Salz, Rich via RT rt at openssl.org
Tue May 31 20:45:08 UTC 2016

> If the size multiplier is changed to, say, 4, then the problem goes away with
> no apparent ill effects. Reading the code for set_hex() and its caller, it does
> not appear that the size multiplier is related to a buffer size or some other
> limitation.

Yes it is, it's the size of the buffer to hold the converted text->binary string.  Changing the multiplier will overwrite data buffers.

There was a bug where it got the size calculation wrong, I think.  But this is not a bug as reported.

--
Ticket here: http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=4552