[openssl-dev] OpenSSL 1.0.2h generates libss.so.1.0.0 instead of libssl.so.1.0.2

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Wed Nov 2 14:33:32 UTC 2016

In message <1296217267.724136.1478095067639 at mail.yahoo.com> on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 13:57:47 +0000 (UTC), Ishan Thakur <ishanthakur41 at yahoo.in> said:

ishanthakur41> Hi ,
ishanthakur41> Why Building OpenSSL 1.0.2h generates
ishanthakur41> libss.so.1.0.0/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and not
ishanthakur41> libssl.so.1.0.2/libcrypto.so.1.0.2 ?

Shared library versions aren't the same as software versions.  As long
as shared libraries are backward compatible on the ABI level, you
maintain the same shared library version.

We recognised that our shared library version numbering was confusing,
so from OpenSSL version 1.1.0 and up, the shared library version
retains the two first digits of the OpenSSL version only, which
reflects our intent that for any versions x.y.z where x.y stays the
same, ABI backward compatibility will be maintained.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org