[openssl-dev] [RFC 0/2] Proposal for seamless handling of TPM based RSA keys in openssl

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Nov 22 13:12:14 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 14:06 +0100, Richard Levitte wrote:

> Not sure I follow...  'file=/foo/bar/key.pem' is just a path /
> parameter that the 'tpmkey' handler is free to interpret in whatever
> way it sees fit.  For me as a user, it's just a string.  For all I
> care, the URI could just as well be 'tpmkey:id=L2Zvby9iYXIva2V5LnBlbQ=='
> That doesn't say anything about the contents of /foo/bar/key.pem, not
> more than file:/foo/bar/key.pem does, or even if there actually is a
> file /foo/bar/key.pem.  Maybe I misunderstand what you're after...

Where files are involved, I do not want the application to be told:
 pkcs8:/foo/bar/key
 pkcs1:/foo/bar/key
 pkcs12:/foo/bar/key or
 tpmkey:/foo/bar/key

I only want the application to be told "/foo/bar/key"

It should work out what the contents are for *itself*. Whether they be
PEM, DER, PKCS#n, TPM-wrapped blobs, or anything else.

And if the string it's given *isn't* a filename but is instead a
PKCS#11 URI or a TPM URI according to Nikos's spec, that should Just
Work too.

User pass string identifying key. Application Just Work™. dwmw2 happy.

--
dwmw2