[openssl-dev] [RFC 0/2] Proposal for seamless handling of TPM based RSA keys in openssl

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Nov 23 18:42:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 17:00 +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:

> > FWIW I am perfectly content for applications *not* to automatically work
> > with such keys. Making the user jump through extra hoops to use them
> > would be perfectly fine in my book.
>
> oh I see.  "Users shouldn't care, it should just work"  But only for some keys.
>
> Part of my I am opposed to guessing.

For me it's the other way round. Magically detecting *that* particular
perfectly valid PKCS#1 RSA key is actually intended for the gem engine
would indeed be guessing. It's a bizarre abuse of PKCS#1 and it doesn't
seem reasonable for anyone to "guess" that without explicit direction.

But for the sane and common cases of PKCS#1, PKCS#8, PKCS#12 and
similar files in both DER and PEM forms, for *those* it makes sense for
applications to Just Work. And it shouldn't really involve "guessing".

--
dwmw2