[openssl-dev] Openssl 1.1 port - hash state serializing

Ken Goldman kgoldman at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 28 20:16:57 UTC 2016

There was no answer on the 'users' list, so this is perhaps now a
feature request.

Is there a possibility of getting this function?

~~

I have a simulation of a hardware device that has the following
characteristics:

- does hashing functions
- resource constrained
- multi-user

Therefore, a typical pattern is that one application starts a digest
calculation, then the hash state must get swapped out for another user.

In 1.0, I did this by (cheating) serializing the hash state to swap out,
than deserializing to swap back in.  This required looking inside the
hash state structure.  I know it wasn't portable across versions, but
the structure was pretty stable.

Is there a way to do this in 1.1?  Can one be added?