[openssl-dev] [openssl.org #4697] Bug in 1.1.0 (lost compatibility with previous releases)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Oct 5 09:05:47 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 08:03 +0000, Salz, Rich wrote:

> > And the *only* justification for the fact that bug continues to exist — and in
> > fact we introduced a *new* bug in OpenSSL 1.1 instead of fixing it — is for
> > backward compatibility with older releases.
> >
> > So how can we be so sanguine about the above failure report?
>
> Because backward compatibility is very important.

Absolutely.

But Sergey is reporting a *failure* in backwards compatibility, and
Viktor's response seemed remarkably sanguine about that...

I understand "let's not fix the bugs because backwards compatibility",
although I wish we'd done it without introducing a *new* bug in the
process.

But RT#4697 makes it look like we lost backward compatibility *anyway*,
but *without* fixing it to do the right thing. Giving us the worst of
both worlds :)

--
dwmw2