[openssl-dev] Definitions for some structures are strangely missing from 'evp.h' or other header files in OpenSSL 1.1.0a

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Sep 23 14:00:11 UTC 2016

In message <008e01d2159c$e9d00010$bd700030$@sina.com> on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 21:17:48 +0800, "Jing Liu" <jingmliu at sina.com> said:

jingmliu> Recently when I used a library ‘libcrypto.lib’ compiled from OpenSSL
jingmliu> 1.1.0a in my project, some compiling errors led me to find that the
jingmliu> header file 'evp.h' in OpenSSL 1.1.0a is incomplete. More
jingmliu> specifically, definitions for many structures are strangely missing.
jingmliu> For example, the definitions for structures EVP_ENCODE_CTX,
jingmliu> EVP_CIPHER, EVP_CIPHER_CTX, EVP_MD, EVP_MD_CTX, and EVP_PKEY (maybe
jingmliu> there are more) cannot be found in ‘evp.h’ or ‘ossl_typ.h’ or any
jingmliu> other header files. While for OpenSSL 1.0.X, we can find definitions
jingmliu> for these structures in ‘evp.h’ or other header files.

Quite a lot has happened in 1.1.0.  You might want to read NEWS.  One
of the items in there is this:

      o *Most* libcrypto and libssl public structures were made opaque,
        including:
        BIGNUM and associated types, EC_KEY and EC_KEY_METHOD,
        DH and DH_METHOD, DSA and DSA_METHOD, RSA and RSA_METHOD,
        BIO and BIO_METHOD, EVP_MD_CTX, EVP_MD, EVP_CIPHER_CTX,
        EVP_CIPHER, EVP_PKEY and associated types, HMAC_CTX,
        X509, X509_CRL, X509_OBJECT, X509_STORE_CTX, X509_STORE,
        X509_LOOKUP, X509_LOOKUP_METHOD

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org