[openssl-dev] Renegotiation ticket 3712

Mody, Darshan (Darshan) darshanmody at avaya.com
Mon Apr 3 11:40:05 UTC 2017

Matt,

I was under impression that issue would have been addressed in latest openssl version 1.1.0.

In case of high traffic and high secure networks, one of the best way to validate the long-lived connection is to do renegotiation (unless negotiated protocol is TLS 1.3 still in draft phase). Since the traffic cannot be stopped and as mentioned in the RFC the app data and renegotiation can be interleaved there is a good chance that openssl would encounter app data instead of handshake message. This makes openssl to throw unexpected record error for which the application has to take an action (mostly closing the connection due to an error encountered) , thus leading to traffic disruption.

The issue is fairly time sensitive and leads to non-deterministic outcome.

Hence I was expecting the issue to be addressed with openssl version 1.1.0 due to major overhaul of state machine and internals.

Thanks
Darshan