[openssl-dev] ETA: TLS 1.3 release

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Apr 21 08:46:47 UTC 2017

On 20/04/17 21:24, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-04-19 at 12:14 +0000, Salz, Rich via openssl-dev wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, what's the ETA for TLS 1.3?
>>> [1] mentions April 5 as the release date (which was two weeks ago).
>>>
>>> [1]: https://blogs.akamai.com/2017/01/tls-13-ftw.html
>>
>> That's an akamai blog, not an openssl statement :)  And that post is
>> misleading, it should have said "available" not "released."
>>
>> The code is in master.
>
> Have the DTLS_get_data_mtu() and related tests been expanded to cover
> it?

We are implementing *TLS* 1.3 not *DTLS* 1.3 (which is still in its
early stages) - so no changes should be required to those tests.

Just to build on Rich's original answer: the TLS1.3 spec has not been
finalised by IETF yet. They were still making significant changes until
quite recently (e.g. draft-19 is not compatible with draft-18). There
won't be an OpenSSL release (at least) until we have a final version of
the spec.