[openssl-dev] Work on a new RNG for OpenSSL

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Aug 14 18:57:47 UTC 2017

And this is a very good answer. Perhaps this guidance deserves being documented somewhere besides this mailing list? Something along the lines of
	It is documented in the RAND_add manpage.

➢ I’m not sure I agree here. What effort are you talking about? In order to select an order in which available sources are queried, the developers had to think (hopefully :). Those thought could be documented in a few lines of text.

And what would be the point?  Why should someone trust the documentation, which can get out of date, more than the source?

➢     So while the team clearly has the right to make changes (especially before the interface became public ;), but I’d rather that such changes  are guided by an informed consent from the public (such as yours truly ;).

We aren’t cutting off any avenues of participation.  Email discussion and pull requests are always welcome.  But yes, the barrier to useful participation is that someone has to first read and understand the source.

➢ I think it is *imperative* for a user to be able to RAND_add() to the DRBG that gnerates private keys. I cannot emphasize enough how critical this is.

    I am curious to know your justification for this.  It seems to me that if you accept the DRBG document, which we do, then the way we do the seeding is fine.  If you don’t accept the document, then modify the source.