[openssl-dev] Plea for a new public OpenSSL RNG API

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Tue Aug 29 19:04:53 UTC 2017

IMHO this interface is a way for the user to improve the quality of the randomness it would get from the given RNG, *not* to replace (or diminish) its other sources. My proposal is to abolish this parameter, especially since now it is simply ignored (and IMHO – for a good reason).

That's a fine proposal ... it just can't be implemented until a major release boundary, when our ABI stability policy permits such breaking changes.

And that is fine. The sooner the better, but ABI stability makes sense too.

My main point is:  RAND_add() and whatever similar in purpose interface calls we may define in the future should exhibit the following behavior:

Mix the provided randomness into the RNG state *immediately*, and
Keep pulling other sources and mixing them into the state – don’t subtract from the “needed entropy” count the amount you presumably got from the user.

Frankly, the need to provide double entropy argument doesn’t bother me all that much – especially if the value 0 is accepted there. ;-)