[openssl-dev] Plea for a new public OpenSSL RNG API

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Tue Aug 29 19:21:57 UTC 2017

➢ I’d like to suggest that any approach other than “immediately mix the received randomness into the RNG state” is bad. If a user does RAND_add() now, as opposed to 100 source code lines before, there may be a reason for that.

I think the only way to do that in the DRBG model is to treat it as “additional input” and do a generate call.  I think that would achieve the same effect, but it wouldn’t delay any possible seeding of randomness that the DRBG itself needs at some point.

➢ One “API” is how to get a reference/pointer/instance/whatever to the DRBG object responsible for the operation I’m now concerned with, and that I want to influence/improve. This would probably differ between per-SSL DRBG and per-thread DRBG, etc. I haven’t even thought about this part of the API (and I’m sure others on the team have more experience and understanding of the OpenSSL code to do it better than I would anyway).

  Yes, it is separate.  But I want to make sure that if we are doing a comprehensive RAND overhaul that this is included in the requirements.