[openssl-dev] use SIPhash for OPENSSL_LH_strhash?

Peter Waltenberg pwalten at au1.ibm.com
Wed Jan 11 22:25:43 UTC 2017

And the reason I said you certainly don't need a keyed hash ?

Behaviour of the hash function will change with key and in some cases
performance would degenerate to that of a linked list. (Ouch). And since
the obvious thing to do is use a random key, OpenSSL's performance would
get *very* erratic.

Simpler functions than cryptographic hashes will almost certainly yield
better results here. I note someone further up the thread someone else has
pointed that out.

Peter