[openssl-dev] use SIPhash for OPENSSL_LH_strhash?

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Jan 12 20:19:46 UTC 2017

In message <f1c135a2-ebb4-bbc0-8ac0-9e81928b40d5 at akamai.com> on Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:07:54 -0600, Benjamin Kaduk <bkaduk at akamai.com> said:

bkaduk> On 01/11/2017 08:43 AM, Richard Levitte wrote:
bkaduk>
bkaduk>     A note: I have absolutely nothing against the addition of SIPhash in
bkaduk>     our collection of hash algos.  My scepticism was only in regards to
bkaduk>     using it as a string hasher for our hash tables indexes.
bkaduk>
bkaduk> Understood. Can you further clarify whether you would like to maintain
bkaduk> the existing 20-year-old hand-rolled hash function for that purpose or
bkaduk> are open to using a more modern hash (not necessarily SIPhash; there
bkaduk> are also things like the Jenkins hash to consider)?

If it makes sense, yes.  I found SMhasher (*) and started playing with
it for this very purpose.  Just for kicks, I added OPENSSL_LH_strhash_ex
to it and am currently doing a huge run of all hashes it knows.

I did a test with Google's FarmHash, and that one shows promise, speed
wise (it performs twice as fast as OPENSSL_LH_strhash_ex).

Cheers,
Richard

(*) https://github.com/rurban/smhasher

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org