[openssl-dev] Compiler requirements

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Jul 4 15:42:42 UTC 2017

In message <2f548b68de1c47dfaa6a3b0107080a2d at usma1ex-dag1mb1.msg.corp.akamai.com> on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 15:05:06 +0000, "Salz, Rich via openssl-dev" <openssl-dev at openssl.org> said:

openssl-dev> > beldmit> What is the minimal version of the compiler to build openssl?
openssl-dev> > beldmit> Is it still required C89 compatibility or C99 standard can be used?
openssl-dev> > beldmit>
openssl-dev> > beldmit> Unfortunately, I did not find these requirements in documentation.
openssl-dev> >
openssl-dev> > At the beginning of INSTALL, you will find a set of requirements.  On of them
openssl-dev> > is "an ANSI C compiler".
openssl-dev>
openssl-dev> That doesn't answer the question :)  Which version of ANSI C?

Ah, you're right, "ANSI C" is a bit of a loose target depending on who
you ask.  As far as I know, we refer to C89/C90 (they are essentially
the same for our intents and purposes).

openssl-dev> I believe C89 is written down somewhere.

C89 is written nowhere in the source at least, nor is C90.  We should
probably clarify that.

Speculating a bit, it's probably safe to say that C95 compiler is fine
as well.  C99, not so much, there's too much risk that we start
excluding some platforms if we start using its features.  Anyway, I
don't think it's safe to upgrade our minimum expectations now.
OpenSSL 1.2.0 would be a good time for such re-evaluations.

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org