[openssl-dev] Windows system cert store

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Wed Jul 12 12:48:14 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 09, 2017, Matthew Stickney wrote:

> The Certificate Manager in Windows does allow you to change the trust
> settings for root certs (including the purposes reported by openssl
> x509 -purpose), although those changes don't appear to be reflected in
> the cert dumped from the store (so they must be stored externally).

Yes they're external properties. The certificate encoding returned can't be
modified of course because that would break the signature.

I think I did some experiments with CertGetEnhancedKeyUsage() and
CERT_FIND_PROP_ONLY_ENHKEY_USAGE_FLAG before. IIRC this reflected system
settings but not those visible in the MSIE dialogs: that is changing the
setting in MSIE didn't change the values returned by that API.

Steve.