[openssl-dev] Windows system cert store

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Fri Jul 14 23:24:55 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017, Matthew Stickney wrote:

> You may have been looking at a different version of IE than what I've
> got on my Windows 7 VM, but at least here IE doesn't allow you to set
> certificate purposes: it has a dialog that looks just like that (under
> the "Advanced" button in the certificate list), but that's only used
> to select the set of usages you want to display if you choose
> "<Advanced Purposes>" in the "Intended Purpose" dropdown at the top
> (it's effectively just a customizable display filter).

It's been a while since I looked at it yes. IIRC before when you selected
a root (or other) certificate under the Details tab you could select "Edit
Properties..." now the box is greyed out unless you run as administrator
or select a user added certificate.

> I've been reading through OpenSSL's verification code a bit, and from
> what I'm seeing it looks like purposes could be set for an existing
> certificate by setting the appropriate bits in the ex_kusage or
> ex_xkusage fields, at least for standard usages. Is that right?

No those are just caches of the contents of the key usage and extended key
usage extensions. The function you need to call is X509_add1_trust_object()
for each trust setting. You could also call X509_alias_set1 to set the
friendly name of the certificate.

Steve.