[openssl-dev] Memory leak in application when we use ECDH

Mody, Darshan (Darshan) darshanmody at avaya.com
Wed Mar 15 05:44:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

We have observed memory leak when we register for ECDH callback(SSL_set_tmp_ecdh_callback). While performing negative testing with load we find that the applications starts leaking memory.

Further checking the Openssl implementation in the s3_srvr.c file (openssl version 1.0.2). I find that a pointer is not deleted after copying EC_KEY from the application or EC_KEY_new being called.

I suspect the below code.

if (type & SSL_kEECDH) {
            const EC_GROUP *group;

            ecdhp = cert->ecdh_tmp;
            if (s->cert->ecdh_tmp_auto) {
                /* Get NID of appropriate shared curve */
                int nid = tls1_shared_curve(s, -2);
                if (nid != NID_undef)
                    ecdhp = EC_KEY_new_by_curve_name(nid); <-- Even memory allocated in this case is not de-allocated.
            } else if ((ecdhp == NULL) && s->cert->ecdh_tmp_cb) {
                ecdhp = s->cert->ecdh_tmp_cb(s,                                                           <-- Application is responsible for the EC_KEY and its memory
                                             SSL_C_IS_EXPORT(s->s3->
                                                             tmp.new_cipher),
                                             SSL_C_EXPORT_PKEYLENGTH(s->
                                                                     s3->tmp.new_cipher));
            }
            if (ecdhp == NULL) {
                al = SSL_AD_HANDSHAKE_FAILURE;
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                       SSL_R_MISSING_TMP_ECDH_KEY);
                goto f_err;
            }

            if (s->s3->tmp.ecdh != NULL) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                       ERR_R_INTERNAL_ERROR);
                goto err;
            }

            /* Duplicate the ECDH structure. */
            if (ecdhp == NULL) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE, ERR_R_ECDH_LIB);
                goto err;
            }
            if (s->cert->ecdh_tmp_auto)
                ecdh = ecdhp;
            else if ((ecdh = EC_KEY_dup(ecdhp)) == NULL) {                                                    <-- Once the key is duplicated the memory for the application should be released?
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE, ERR_R_ECDH_LIB);
                goto err;
            }

            s->s3->tmp.ecdh = ecdh;
            if ((EC_KEY_get0_public_key(ecdh) == NULL) ||
                (EC_KEY_get0_private_key(ecdh) == NULL) ||
                (s->options & SSL_OP_SINGLE_ECDH_USE)) {
                if (!EC_KEY_generate_key(ecdh)) {
                    SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                           ERR_R_ECDH_LIB);
                    goto err;
                }
            }

            if (((group = EC_KEY_get0_group(ecdh)) == NULL) ||
                (EC_KEY_get0_public_key(ecdh) == NULL) ||
                (EC_KEY_get0_private_key(ecdh) == NULL)) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE, ERR_R_ECDH_LIB);
                goto err;
            }

            if (SSL_C_IS_EXPORT(s->s3->tmp.new_cipher) &&
                (EC_GROUP_get_degree(group) > 163)) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                       SSL_R_ECGROUP_TOO_LARGE_FOR_CIPHER);
                goto err;
            }

            /*
             * XXX: For now, we only support ephemeral ECDH keys over named
             * (not generic) curves. For supported named curves, curve_id is
             * non-zero.
             */
            if ((curve_id =
                 tls1_ec_nid2curve_id(EC_GROUP_get_curve_name(group)))
                == 0) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                       SSL_R_UNSUPPORTED_ELLIPTIC_CURVE);
                goto err;
            }

            /*
             * Encode the public key. First check the size of encoding and
             * allocate memory accordingly.
             */
            encodedlen = EC_POINT_point2oct(group,
                                            EC_KEY_get0_public_key(ecdh),
                                            POINT_CONVERSION_UNCOMPRESSED,
                                            NULL, 0, NULL);

            encodedPoint = (unsigned char *)
                OPENSSL_malloc(encodedlen * sizeof(unsigned char));
            bn_ctx = BN_CTX_new();
            if ((encodedPoint == NULL) || (bn_ctx == NULL)) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE,
                       ERR_R_MALLOC_FAILURE);
                goto err;
            }

            encodedlen = EC_POINT_point2oct(group,
                                            EC_KEY_get0_public_key(ecdh),
                                            POINT_CONVERSION_UNCOMPRESSED,
                                            encodedPoint, encodedlen, bn_ctx);

            if (encodedlen == 0) {
                SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_SEND_SERVER_KEY_EXCHANGE, ERR_R_ECDH_LIB);
                goto err;
            }

            BN_CTX_free(bn_ctx);
            bn_ctx = NULL;

            /*
             * XXX: For now, we only support named (not generic) curves in
             * ECDH ephemeral key exchanges. In this situation, we need four
             * additional bytes to encode the entire ServerECDHParams
             * structure.
             */
            n = 4 + encodedlen;

            /*
             * We'll generate the serverKeyExchange message explicitly so we
             * can set these to NULLs
             */
            r[0] = NULL;
            r[1] = NULL;