[openssl-dev] License change agreement

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at symas.com
Thu Mar 23 17:53:49 UTC 2017

--On Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:41 AM -0400 Rich Salz <rsalz at openssl.org>
wrote:

> If you have contributed code to OpenSSL, we'd like you to take a look
> at our licensing website, https://license.openssl.org and give approval
> to our converting to the Apache Software License.
>
> You can find more details at our most recent blog entry,
> https://www.openssl.org/blog

The major problem with the existing license is that it conflicts with the
GPLv2.  The new license also conflicts with the GPLv2.  This was
immediately brought up as a serious problem when this discussion began in
July of 2015.  It appears that the feedback that the APL does not solve
these serious problems with how OpenSSL was licensed was ignored.  Sad to
see that.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount