[openssl-dev] License change agreement

Kurt Roeckx kurt at roeckx.be
Fri Mar 24 08:40:16 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 08:36:02AM +0100, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 08:21:49AM +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> > > I like to mention that any license change cannot be made based on a
> > > majority vote or any other method other than getting each author (or
> > > its legal representative) to *explicitly* allow the change. The method
> > > of "nothing heard equals consent" is not valid in any jurisdiction I
> > > know of.
> > >
> > > While I'm not a contributor (I think I only sent in a small diff years
> > > ago), I would like to stress that the planned relicensing procedure is
> > > not legal and can be challenged in court.
> >
> > Well, emails were sent yesterday out to _all_ contributors for ack/deny the change.
>
> Read the last line of the mail, it says the no reactions equals
> consent. That is the illegal part.

The legal advice we got said that we should do our best to contact
people. If we contacted them, they had the possibility to say no.
We will give them time and go over all people that didn't reply to
try to reach them.

But if they don't reply, as said, we will assume they have no
problem with the license change. If at some later point in time
they do come forward and say no, we will deal with that at that
time.

Kurt