[openssl-dev] License change agreement

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Fri Mar 24 13:17:26 UTC 2017

> As was noted back when this was brought up in 2015, there are other, better,
> licenses than the APLv2 which are also GPLv2 compatible.  The MPLv2 being
> an example of such a license.  There is also BSD, MIT/X11, etc.  The
> GPLv2 incompatibility of OpenSSL is a major problem.

Better in one dimension, not in the multiple dimensions that we are concerned about.  For example, one of the major things that is an issue for GPLv2 is the patent protection.  Patent protection is important to us.  At least now we're compatible with GPL3, which is hopefully seen as a major step forward.

Yes, it is too bad we can't please all communities right now.