[openssl-dev] License change agreement

Fri Mar 24 19:49:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2017-03-24 at 20:24 +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:22:14PM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> >
> > This is my understanding as well.  From the GPL side, for both
> > dynamic
> > and static linking of openssl to GPLv2 code, the section 3 system
> > exception applies.
>
> Not everybody agrees that it applies.

debian-legal is OK with shipping other libraries which require the
system exception to link with GPLv2 code, so I don't find their
position to be entirely self consistent.  Regardless, if you move to
Apache-2.0 you'll still use the system exception to link with GPLv2
code, but it will be much more acceptable.

James