[openssl-dev] The new OpenSSL license should be made GPLv2 compatible

Sat Mar 25 20:21:28 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-03-25 at 16:10 +0000, Salz, Rich via openssl-dev wrote:

> > Please, in the final OpenSSL license text add the paragraph linked
> > in the above LLVM mailing list as an exception to the Apache
> > license.
> >
> > We should make sure using OpenSSL in GPLv2-only projects its
> > possible without any trouble or concern for developers.
>
> The problem is that if it is distributed under the GPLv2 there is no
> patent protection, and that is important to us.

I've already told you once that this is a factually incorrect statement
because (L)GPLv2 contains an implicit patent licence:

https://mta.openssl.org/pipermail/openssl-dev/2017-March/009208.html

but you can have it from a more authoritative source if you like:

https://copyleft.org/guide/comprehensive-gpl-guidech7.html

Additionally, since under Apache-2.0 the explicit patent grants are
captured on contribution, they can't be lost again by the act of using
the LLVM exception to distribute a portion of the code under another
licence.

James