[openssl-dev] 90-test_secmem.t hangs the machine for good

Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL uri at ll.mit.edu
Fri May 12 20:05:10 UTC 2017

The obvious candidate for closer inspection is a few commits previous,

commit 7031ddac94d0ae616d1b0670263a9265ce672cd2
Author: Todd Short <tshort at akamai.com>
Date:   Thu May 11 15:48:10 2017 -0400

which adds test cases intended to trigger the edge cases being fixed.

Point well-taken. ;-)

It seems that there should also be a bug report against OS X, as regular userspace code running as non-root should not be able to hang a machine like that.

I’m not sure. It may well be that it “simply” takes all the memory over, so there is no way for anything else to start and do the clean-up…

>From just looking at the code, the only question that comes to mind is whether you have a 32- or 64-bit size_t in the build environment in question, which is unlikely to cause a eureka moment :(

I can tell you that size_t is 64-bit here. It’s certainly not an “eureka” moment for me.

Some other information to check: do you have MAP_ANON defined by your mman.h?

/**

 * @addtogroup apr_platform

 * @ingroup APR

 * @{

 */

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_MMAP_TMP     1

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_MMAP_SHM     1

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_MMAP_ZERO    0

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_SHMGET_ANON  1

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_SHMGET       1

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_MMAP_ANON    1

#define APR_HAVE_SHMEM_BEOS         0

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_TMP     0

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_SHM     0

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_ZERO    0

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_SHMGET_ANON  0

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_SHMGET       1

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_MMAP_ANON    1

#define APR_USE_SHMEM_BEOS         0

And this system does not seem to have a straight “mmap.h”. The above is from /usr/include/apr-1/apr_mmap.h file.

Do you have a /dev/zero that can be opened read/write?

Yep:

$ ll /dev/zero

crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel    3,   3 May 12 14:14 /dev/zero

$

Todd> Yes, it’s likely this is due to the amount of memory available in the machine. I tried to use reasonable values, but apparently not reasonable enough

Yep. In case it matters, my machine has 16GB of RAM (and runs a ton of stuff, besides these tests :).