[openssl-dev] New crypto algorithms in openSSL engine

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Mon Oct 23 14:01:24 UTC 2017

>        @Victor; Are you saying so that the patches that enabled the GOST
    ciphersuite be added are not included in openSSL? If so, would that mean
    it's not possible for me to fork off openSSL and follow the GOST template?

Not quite.  He’s saying that adding new crypto to TLS requires some static tables in libssl to be updated.  Some new “NID” variables in objects.txt, and so on.  The implementation of the algorithm can be done as an ENGINE.

>    Putting engines aside for a moment, given that I have the appropriate
    headers for the crypto library I want to use, and I can build a shared or
    static library for it... would it be a viable option to try and integrate
    those headers and libraries directly into openSSL?

Maybe. Hence the term “research” :)