[openssl-dev] Speck Cipher Integration with OpenSSL

William Bathurst wbathurs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 18:52:01 UTC 2018

Hello All,

We have open sourced our work in regards to integrating the Speck Cipher
with OpenSSL. Basic information about this cipher can be found here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck_(cipher)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck_%28cipher%29>

SPECK is a lightweight block ciphers each of which comes in a variety of
widths and key sizes and is targeted towards resource constrained
devices and environments. This implementation is currently implemented
using the 128 and 256 block sizes.

We are currently modifying the source from Apache to OpenSSL open source
licensing for the Speck/OpenSSL integration. Related repositories such
as the cipher itself will remain under the Apache license. We would love
input on the following items:

1) Community interest in such a lightweight cipher.
2) Committers willing to help on the code for improvements.
3) Information on how to make this available as a patch.

We have currently integrated Speck with OpenSSL 1.1. We also have an
Speck Client software available for people who wish to test this
software. Future ports will be to mbedTLS.

We have listed making it available as an issue:

https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues

OpenSSL/Speck Integration open source repositories:

https://github.com/m2mi/openssl_speck
https://github.com/m2mi/open_speck

Feel free to contact to to discuss the cipher and uses.

With Regards,
Bill