[openssl-dev] Speck Cipher Integration with OpenSSL

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Wed Jan 10 04:26:54 UTC 2018

On 9. jan. 2018, at 7:40 f.h., Randall S. Becker <rsbecker at nexbridge.com> wrote:
> On January 9, 2018 10:05 AM, Rich Salz wrote:
>> It would be interesting to see how many changes you need to support your
>> platform.
>
> Surprisingly not many at all. The platform has been significantly modernized since early ports. Most of the differences are the addition of a FLOSS layer (though #includes) and one byte swap issue on bn_mul_add_words that I'm not sure is relevant anymore. Some of the tracked files that generated (tests/Makefile) have spacing difference due to tooling differences. The code, however, is very close to vanilla as of 1.0.2n.

In this case, I think Dmitry Belyavsky's suggestion makes the most sense. SPECK can be built as an ENGINE, the same way that GOST, CAPI, etc. are. (see [1].) This may require small changes to OpenSSL proper (to add OIDs, say), but they should be small enough not to add any complexity or maintenance burden to OpenSSL. If/when SPECK gains more use, or is considered for standardization in TLS, etc., then this codebase can be moved into OpenSSL's. In the meantime, people can build the SPECK engine to use it in an OpenSSL-based program.

[1] https://github.com/gost-engine/engine