[openssl-project] SM2

Andy Polyakov appro at openssl.org
Mon Apr 9 18:55:10 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'd like to hear *more* opinions in light of recent comments to
https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/4793. (Strangely enough I get
"This page is taking way too long to load" if attempt to access it when
I'm logged on[!?]. But I have no problems opening requests from the
middle, long closed.) As for my opinion I found myself objecting the way
SM2 is hammered into ec_pmeth.c, and it's irregardless concerns risen in
4793, which merely enforced the opinion. Concern is that we risk being
stuck with maintaining quirky behaviour for long time. It should really
be up to application to choose the scheme (as suggested in 4793) or SM2
methods should be parameterizeable. This means that I'd like to raise a
voice in favour of removal the hacks. If it means missing release, I'd
argue that it's better to miss it than to get stuck with something that
would be problematic to support.