[openssl-project] Entropy seeding the DRBG

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Mon Apr 30 14:49:08 UTC 2018

In message <20180430.152609.587396153749337701.levitte at openssl.org> on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 15:26:09 +0200 (CEST), Richard Levitte <levitte at openssl.org> said:

levitte> In message <20180430131000.GA25216 at roeckx.be> on Mon, 30 Apr 2018 15:10:01 +0200, Kurt Roeckx <kurt at roeckx.be> said:
levitte>
levitte> kurt> The comment about not hashing it is if you want to use the tool to
levitte> kurt> do entropy estimation. Hashing it will not increase the entropy,
levitte> kurt> but the estimation will be totally wrong.
levitte> kurt>
levitte> kurt> Passing the hashed data to the drbg as entropy input is fine if
levitte> kurt> you already know how much entropy that it contains.
levitte>
levitte> Thanks, that's what I suspected.  Ok, on to the next step

Not done running, but does show some promise...

    : ; ./a.out ../../../levitte/vms-experiments/entropy-gathering/entropy-stats.bin  8 -v
    Opening file: ../../../levitte/vms-experiments/entropy-gathering/entropy-stats.bin

    Running non-IID tests...

    Entropic statistic estimates:
    Most Common Value Estimate = 0.975224
    Collision Test Estimate = 0.902997
    Markov Test Estimate = 0.410808
    Compression Test Estimate = 0.811274

I assume that estimate is per "word" (i.e. per 8 bits of data in this
case).

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org