[openssl-project] Removal of NULL checks

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Wed Aug 8 10:19:24 UTC 2018

We don't have a formal policy of no NULL checks - we just have a few
members that think we should have such a policy but it has never been voted
on as we had sufficiently varying views for a consensus approach to not be
possible.

Personally I'm in favour of high-level APIs having NULL checks as it (in my
experience) leads to less bogus error crash reports from users and simpler
handling in error cleanup logic.
Otherwise you end up writing a whole pile of if(x!=NULL) FOO_free(x); etc

But it is a style issue.

However in the context of removing such checks - that we should *not* be
doing - the behaviour of the APIs in this area should not be changed
outside of a major version increment - and even then I would not make the
change either because it introduces changes which in themselves serve no
real purpose - i.e. a style change can result in making a program that used
to work fine crash in bad ways - and that we shouldn't be doing even across
major version increments in my view.

Tim.