[openssl-project] Removal of NULL checks

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Thu Aug 9 15:02:16 UTC 2018

> On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:49 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> This is another reason why I am opposed to NULL checks.

Whether one's for them, or against them, removing a check
from a function that would formerly return an error and
making it crash is a substantial API change.  We must
avoid API changes whenever we can.  We can introduce
new functions and gradually deprecate the old over
a number (at least 3 IMHO) major release cycles, but
what we MUST NOT do is just change the API of an
existing function.

--
	Viktor.