[openssl-project] Late thoughts on the 1.1.1 release - are we fooling ourselves?

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Fri Aug 17 11:55:13 UTC 2018

At first sight, if you search through github issues and PRs by
filtering on the "1.1.1" milestone or the "1,1,1" label, it looks like
a fairly small amount of work left.

However, there's been a move done that I think has lead us astray; any
issue or PR that had the milestone "1.1.1" and were determined to be
applicable to 1.1.0 as well (i.e. not being a 1.1.1 only milestone,
and I agree with that assessment) were changed to the milestone
"Assessed" *with no further labeling*.

Unfortunately, judging from activity, it seems the "Assessed"
milestone has in large part become "the 'ignore for now'" bin...

I believe that we need to go through those issues and PRs and make an
actual assessment, i.e. label the appropriately, and for anything
that's a bug in current 1.1.1 code (*), they need to be fixed before
the release.

At this moment, I count 132 issues and PRs in the "Assessed" milestone
with no further labeling.

Personally, I see this as a showstopper re a release on Tuesday, but I
think it's on all of us to come to an agreement, that is unless we
actually do label and fix everything that needs fixing 'til Monday
evening (Euro time)...

(*) I'm sure some of the issues and PRs in this milestone are 1.1.0
only or 1.0.2 only.  They can safely be ignored for the moment, but
still need to be labeled as such.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org