[openssl-project] To deprecate OpenSSL_version() or not

Tim Hudson tjh at openssl.org
Wed Dec 5 18:27:32 UTC 2018

The function has been there for a long time (since then beginning) and it
is all about version related information - so both names aren't exactly
clearly descriptive.

OpenSSL_version_information() would be a better name.

It would also argue that the "version" program should be renamed "info" as
the same argument would equally apply.

However I do not think we should rename a function and deprecate a function
that is very widely used.

And the function should also cover everything that the current "version"
application covers (like seeding source etc). The ifdefs there are not
something we should expect applications to repeat.

Tim.