[openssl-project] Style question

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Mon Feb 12 16:47:22 UTC 2018

On 12/02/18 16:42, Salz, Rich wrote:
> The error return is not documented.

I don't see why that matters. It is trivial to see that an error is
returned in some circumstances, and there are plenty of examples in our
own code where we check this. If we removed this check we would have to
go through all of our uses to check that we've not introduced a bug
(e.g. where we know that we may send a NULL md and rely on the error
return to do the right thing). If we have to do that for our own code
it's not a big stretch to imagine plenty of other applications would be
similarly affected.

We really can't remove the check.

Matt