[openssl-project] Help deciding on PR 6341 (facilitate reading PKCS#12 objects in OSSL_STORE)

David Benjamin davidben at google.com
Wed Jun 6 16:52:34 UTC 2018

Oh, I didn't realize that document existed. Although it doesn't say that it
is overriding the BMPString restrictions. It says it "does not add any
*further* restrictions to the input passwords of these methods, however it
is RECOMMENDED to use (big-endian) UTF-16 NFC form". That reads to me as
saying you should use UTF-16 NFC form, but only the subset that still
satisfies the existing BMPString restrictions. It even recommends that
"applications which restricted the MacData password to BMPString set" fail
in some cases.

If the intent was otherwise, probably worth some rewording.