[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Salz, Rich rsalz at akamai.com
Thu Jun 7 14:50:57 UTC 2018

I see you already started the votes.  No time for discussion?

I think OpenSSL should be a "fundamental" system library.  Perhaps the apps are different, but it should not require new libraries but could use them if available -- either at run-time or via config/build.

I think iconv in particular is a bad thing to require at this time, in a 1.1.1 release.  It's not clear to me that it meets our API/ABI compatibility guarantee.  I also dislike iconv because of its size, the fact that it is a gross collection of hacks -- not its fault, it's the nature of charsets -- and that it is not universal.  This means that apps that "do the right thing" on some platforms, will FAIL to do so on opthers.

It is very very late in the release process to be adding a new dependency.

Finally, I believe that for this particular issue, we can add an API that enables applications to do the right thing, and we can add flags and warnings to the command-line that make it more clear when a user isn't doing the right thing (such as because they have existing files they need to read).

VOTE NO.