[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Jun 7 19:27:08 UTC 2018

Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org> skrev: (7 juni 2018 21:16:53 CEST)
>On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 09:01:15PM +0200, Richard Levitte wrote:
>
>> We don't have to answer the question "how high" now.  I'm fully
>> prepared to have the use of iconv limited to platforms where we know
>> it's available (for example, we - or well, *I* - know that VMS has
>the
>> iconv API in the C RTL, not even any need to link with any extra
>> library...  and we *know* it's available in glibc since version
>> 2.something).  I'm fully prepared to have to deal with people saying
>> "hey, we have that too!" and having to edit config targets as we go.
>> I do not expect any support of iconv to cover more than what we can
>> test or get patches for, as with anything else.
>
>There's also apparently some variation in the iconv API function
>prototypes (possibly "const char **" vs. "char **").  So some
>platform-dependent casting may be required...
>
>My peers suggest that this late in the release cycle, we leave the
>responsibility of ensuring UTF-8 input to the user.  We could
>describe work-arounds in documentation.  Personally, if this is
>off by default, and requires a new option to enable, and is just
>in openssl(1) and not libcrypto, I'm disinclined to say "no" until
>I see a PR (with documentation) that we can decide to leave for
>post 1.1.1 or adopt.

Please review doc/man7/passphrase-encoding.pod

My main concern is that currently, openssl pkcs12 may create broken pkcs12 files (because it misinterprets the pass phrase when constructing a BMPString), and doesn't notify the user at all (doesn't even check).

Cheers

Skickat från min Android-enhet med K-9 Mail. Ursäkta min fåordighet.