[openssl-project] To use or not use the iconv API, and to use or not use other libraries

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Tue Jun 12 15:06:40 UTC 2018

> On Jun 7, 2018, at 3:40 PM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
>
> I think you forgot that this is not what I suggested.  One flag indicates it's utf-8 encoded, don't touch it.  The other flag indicates it might have high-bit chars, don't touch it.

The flags I'd like to see are:

  -latin1:  Passphrase is a stream of octets, each of which is a single unicode
            character in the range 0-255.

  -utf8:    Passphrase is already utf-8 encoded

  -ascii:   Passphrase must be ASCII, reject inadvertent 8-bit input.

And as available:

  -toutf8:   Convert passphrase from the input encoding to UTF-8.
	     Either using the locale-specific encoding, or yet
             another flag:

  -encoding: A platform-specific name for the input encoding understood
             by the system's encoding conversion library (iconv on Unix).

None of these flags change semantics after introduction.

	Viktor.