[openssl-project] OID policy

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Thu Mar 15 08:05:02 UTC 2018

In message <6f9a7c53-f40f-4794-bf1a-f59eb1db6d4b at default> on Wed, 14 Mar 2018 16:40:24 -0700 (PDT), Paul Dale <paul.dale at oracle.com> said:

paul.dale> > We should have OID's for the things we implement
paul.dale>
paul.dale> Sounds like a policy :)
paul.dale> Vote time?

Not sure if there's a need for a vote.  I'll just wait for the PR ;-)

Thing is, we probably have no need for the OIDs in the library, just
the names, as long as they don't have to be included in any DER stuff
we generate or parse.  Each name becomes an object and a NID anyway,
and that's all we need internally.

So in some cases, OIDs are more "nice to have" than useful, although
they might become useful in the future, so it's never wrong to include
the actual official OIDs when they're available.

So can I assume there's a PR coming up?  Policy wise, I think that's
what it takes, plus the approval.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org