[openssl-project] About PR 5702, etc.

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Tue Mar 27 16:07:13 UTC 2018

On 27/03/18 14:00, Salz, Rich wrote:
> Discussion seems to have stalled out on this.  Please review
> https://github.com/openssl/openssl/pull/5702 if necessary.
>

> Do folks want a general “TLS 1.3 is okay post-freeze” policy?

I think that is ok and doesn't stray too far from what we said in the
release strategy:

    A beta release means:

    Feature complete/Feature freeze (but may include a non-final
    implementation of the TLSv1.3 specification)
    Bug fixes only

We are all still learning about what it will take to have a good TLSv1.3
implementation so it is not surprising that there are still some things
we want to do.

That said, I don't think we should open the flood gates and let large
amounts of changes through so I think an increased review requirement
for these types of changes sounds like a good idea. There was a
suggestion that 3 OMC members would be required to get such a change
through - and I think that sounds like a good idea.

> I don’t
> know, but I think it will take too long to get to a decision.  Is anyone
> (on the OMC) going to take that up and drive toward a vote?

That depends on how controversial the OMC think this is. If it's
controversial then we can just vote on an case-by-case basis. If there
are no real objections then I don't mind raising a vote on this.

Matt