[openssl-project] Minimum C version

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Sun Oct 7 13:46:45 UTC 2018

I don't see a *substantial benefit* from going to C99 and I've worked on
numerous embedded platforms where it is highly unlikely that C99 support
will ever be available.

Kurt - do you have a specific list of features you think would be
beneficial - or is it just a general sense to move forward?

We should ensure that C++ builds work - but that is mostly simply keyword
avoidance - but sticking with the base C89/C90 in my experience is still a
reasonable position.

For Microsoft reading
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fa17bcdd-7165-4645-a676-ef3797b95918/details-on-c99-support-in-msvc?forum=vcgeneral
and
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vcblog/2013/07/19/c99-library-support-in-visual-studio-2013/
may
assist.

I know there are Microsoft platforms that require use of earlier compilers
than VS2013 to support (unfortunately).

Tim.