[openssl-project] A proposal for an updated OpenSSL version scheme (v2)

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Fri Sep 21 11:28:55 UTC 2018

So as a concrete example - taking master and the current
OPENSSL_VERSION_TEXT value.

"OpenSSL 1.1.2-dev  xx XXX xxxx"

would become

"1.1.2-dev+xx.XXX.xxxx"

That is what I understand is the point of semantic versioning. You know how
to pull apart the version string.
-dev indicates a pre-release version known as "dev"
+xx.XXX.xxxx indicates build metadata.
The underlying release is major 1, minor 1, patch 2.

But for semantic versioning where we allow API breakage in our current
minor version we would have to shift everything left.
And we would then have "1.2.0-dev+xx.XXX.xxxx" if the planned new release
wasn't guaranteed API non-breaking with the previous release (1.1.1).

Tim.