[openssl-project] Release strategy updates

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Sep 21 13:19:06 UTC 2018

I am very concerned about stability of our API moving forwards. There
are various discussions about changing the version number to 1.2.0 (or
possibly 2.0.0) - which according to our versioning scheme would allow
breaking changes. Whilst this is true I think we need to be very wary
about "opening the flood gates" for breaking changes.

The move from 1.0.x to 1.1.0 was hard on our users and we should avoid
that again.

With that in mind I have opened the following PR (based largely on
wording suggested by Viktor):

https://github.com/openssl/web/pull/82

At the same time I have taken the opportunity to clean up some
out-of-date stuff in the release strategy.

This is independent of the semantic versioning discussion which may
itself see further changes being made to the release strategy.

Thoughts?