[openssl-project] A proposal for an updated OpenSSL version scheme (v2)

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Fri Sep 21 15:56:14 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org>
wrote:
>  The only change needed is a minor one in applications that actually
> parse the nibbles

What I was suggesting is that we don't need to break the current encoding
at all.
We have a major.minor.fix version encoded and documented in the header file
that we can continue to represent in semantic terms.
So anyone decoding those items will actually get the correct result (from a
user perspective).
Those using it for conditional compilation checks continue to work.

BTW thanks for the correction on "a" to "1" for the patch release (wasn't
being careful there).

Tim.