[openssl-project] A proposal for an updated OpenSSL version scheme (v2)

Tim Hudson tjh at cryptsoft.com
Sat Sep 22 05:30:13 UTC 2018

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 3:12 PM Viktor Dukhovni <openssl-users at dukhovni.org>
wrote:

> The proposal to move the minor version into nibbles 2 and 3 breaks this
> OpenSSH function.

No it doesn't - because I'm not talking about moving *anything* in the
current encoding for major and minor - see earlier post.
The positions don't change for minor version. We just stop using the
current PATCH and use the current FIX as PATCH.
And the logical test there remains valid in that it detects all
incompatible versions correctly - what changes is that some versions that
are compatible are seen as incompatible - but that is an incorrect
interpretation that is *safe.*

And note that the openssh code there is actually more conservative than it
needs to be already.

And under semantic versioning, it is only the MAJOR that changes when
breaking changes happen.

But what I've been referring to is that there is other code that uses our
documented encoding and parses it ... this isn't just an openssh issue.

Tim